Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Got Spurrier? That's what my tee shirt says


I get asked a lot by people who would otherwise misplace the fact that I am a little bit of a South Carolina fan ("little" here means I rarely dream about the Gamecocks in my sleep) if I am excited about them hiring Steve Spurrier as coach.

Yep. I hope he does a good job with what is available. Obviously they will pass the ball more often than before. I have read a book or two about him to get apprised (I had studiously ignored -- if not hated as my wife claims-- his career while he was at Florida and RUTS on USC every season) and what is most impressive to me is what he did in three years at Duke. Surely they were not furtively stocked with football talent before he got there. His teams led the league in passing and scoring and won an ACC championship while he was there.

Thanks Coach Holtz for all you did, and for always responding to my letters about helmets and your books.

1 comment:

Freehawk said...

I got a letter today from Coach Spurrier, responding to mine about uniform suggestions. A cynic might think it was a form letter -- I think it was just carefully tailored to reflect the right amount of deference to my opinions and helpful suggestions, while on the other had showing some necessary degree of independence. You Go Old ball Coach!