Sunday, January 23, 2005

Annals of half -finished books: I am Charlotte Simmons

I could not make myself finish this. I did finish about half and that seemed enough punishment (plus it is so huge, half is a lot of pages to read). The protagonist goes from hillbilly land to a snooty college. She meets a Jock, a Fraternity Boy, and a Geek. Everything is described so breathlessly and wordily as if narrated by a space alien getting paid by the word (sounds like any New Yorker writer, but I digress). Does this book ever get to the point? Knowing Thomas Wolfe, she probably gets gang raped by them all. Not for me. Somebody tell me whodunnit, because I am not finding out first hand. I once saw a bookstore that would let you return a book when finished and get a little something back. I would take that deal with this book.

2 comments:

Freehawk said...

I found a site called bookemporium.com that supposedly buys back books. I sure loved selling back (text)books in college, I may give this a try for some expensive stinkers to whom I have no desire to give shelf space.

Freehawk said...

Never mind, it is only for textbooks. signed, Emily Litella.